between two wixpdbs?

If the files are not binary identical then WiX will think they need to
be patched (because they are different:).

Use PatchFamilies to explicitly control what is in the patch.
From: David Watson
Sent: 6/20/2012 8:23
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] How does Torch auto detect changes in files
between two wixpdbs?
Hi,
We have been successfully using admin installs and explicit patch.wxs files
(specifying what components to patch under the <PatchFamily>) to create msp
files for a few years now and I have just started to look into making patches
automatically from our release builds. I intended to leave the <PatchFamily>
empty and let wix decide what has changed, but this is not working how I
hoped it would.

Previously our release builds incremented the build number of each binary on
each successful build, we have now moved a system where we increment the
version number of a dll only when it has changed. We have noticed though that
after a rebuild some binaries that have unchanged code and version numbers
are not  byte by byte identical to the previous version. When I build a test
patch with some of these binaries they are being included in the msp by the
torch auto detection methods (even though they have the same version) but are
obviously are not being installed while patching as the version numbers have
not changed. This is far from ideal as I suspect that most files in our
products would be included in the patch.

Is there some way we can get torch to exclude these files?

I will download the latest code and have a look.

Dave

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and
requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its
contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire
SL6 7DY, UK.