1. Agreed. I find it easier to change UpgradeCodes, rather than do the
UpgradeVersion dance.  In my mind, I think about UpgradeCodes as defining
whether the package installs SxS or not.

2. You can override the default planning of Burn for packages by returning
your requested state for that package to Burn from OnPlanPackageBegin().
I'll have to check but I think you can do the same by returning the
operation you want from OnPlanRelatedBundle()... but I would not be
surprised if that was not supported... becuase downgrading is pretty weird.
<smile/>

If 2 is not supported for Bundles, feel free to open a bug.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Don Walker <don.wal...@versaterm.com>wrote:

> Don Walker wrote
> >
> > Here is the situation:
> >
> > 1. We allow multiple versions of our product to be installed at the same
> > time if they have a different Major.Minor version. I don't believe that
> > the MajorUpgrade element supports this option. The UpgradeVersion
> elements
> > shown should provide for this.
> > 2. Within the same Major.Minor version the user can upgrade or downgrade
> > the product. The AllowDowngrades attribute of the MajorUpgrade element
> > does support this.
> >
> > I realize that there could be other approaches to implementing this such
> > as using a new UpgradeCode for each Major.Minor version. I thought that
> my
> > current approach would be closer to what Windows Installer intended.
> > Comments?
> >

> This seems to work ok with simple msi files. However, trying to get Burn to
> do what I want is a puzzle I need help with:
>
> 1. It appears that I will have to use a new UpgradeCode for each
> Major.Minor
> version of a bundle since I don't have the equivalent of UpgradeVersion
> elements for bundles. If I do this I would be tempted to do the same with
> the msi files that make up the bundle in order to keep things consistent.
> 2. I can't figure out any way to get a bundle to downgrade a version. It
> appears that I'll have to flag the downgrade as an error and require the
> user to uninstall the previous bundle. I guess you could argue that the
> need
> to downgrade an install should be rare enough that we don't need to make it
> convenient.
>
> let me know if I've missed anything or there are other approaches.

virtually,

   Rob Mensching
   http://RobMensching.com LLC