I cannot suggest a solution for the patch problem you currently have, but I
might be able to suggest an alternative. I was unable to use the pure WiX
patching technique, as I was attempting to patch a file in a merge module.
The WiX help describes two methods of patch generation, the first WiX only
(using pyro and torch), the second using patch creation properties. I was
successfully able to generate a patch using this method.

Using an administrative install from the original, and one from the patch,
you can then generate a patch with the following commands:

candle -o %PATCH%.wixobj  PatchCreation.wxs
light -o %PATCH%.pcp %PATCH%.wixobj
msimsp -s %PATCH%.pcp  -p patch/%PATCH%.msp -l %PATCH%.log

I was able to build the sample patch as outlined in the help, then
extend/modify the patch creation file to suit.

good luck,
bill