1. Hopefully the "too many web sites" are really just: http://wixtoolset.org,
http://wix.sourceforge.net and http://wix.codeplex.com.  If there are
others that are confusing, I'd love to know them.

The http://wixtoolset.org and http://wix.sourceforge.net need to merge into
one (http://wixtoolset.org ultimately). There have been a number of hiccups
getting that done. I hope it is pretty clear on
http://wix.codeplex.comthat that project just holds the source code
and downloads and points to
http://wixtoolset.org.

The rest is caught up in a very slow migration *away* from SourceForge.
It's slow to unwind because there are so many processes (many of them built
many years ago on demand with bailing twine and bubble gum <sigh/>) still
pointing to SF.  Finally, getting search engines to make the leap with us
is also something I'm very conscious of and that is making me doubly
cautions (aka: slow).

2. There is a notable user-experience gap between .vdproj and .wixproj
today. The WiX toolset today is designed to provide full access to the
Windows Installer and scale from the smallest projects to the largest
projects. You've probably noticed by now that providing a high-level
abstraction of the Windows Installer that makes it easy to drag and drop
your way into an installation package has not been delivered. It's not even
been attempted by the WiX toolset.  Should it? Sure but there were many
other goals that we focused on instead.

3. As noted, you definitely found a bug in the documentation. Also, the
WiX.chm is intended to be the reference documentation. It has a bit of an
introduction but it's primary purpose (and bulk of the documentation) is to
be close at hand offline reference to quickly look stuff up. If you're
looking for long treatsies on understandig the WiX toolset the Tutorial and
Book are available.  Although they usually lag the project a bit because it
takes time to organize all the information in a logical flow. <smile/>