I’ve been struggling to get rid of the Files In Use dialog. Seems like
there’s no easy way out.****

Ideally, I would like to execute my MSI with the /qb! mode, ie, showing
only the progress bar with modal dialog boxes enabled (for instance, the
reboot dialog at the end if needed for some reason).****

I don’t care if a reboot is needed at the end because another process had a
handle open to a file that must be replaced during the upgrade, as long as
the user has this message shown at the installation end. That’s why I
cannot use /passive or /qb-!****

During the installation, through Custom Actions, my MSI does it best to
close processes (well known ones in my business domain) that might block a
file replacement. The problem is that there CAs must execute with elevated
privileges (hence deferred), and, of course, after the InstallValidate
action, that shows up the Files In Use dialog. Therefore, these CAs happens
after the Files In Use dialog is shown. So it’s impossible to execute my
CAs before the InstallValidate step.****

** **

Will I have to create a bootstrapper what would kill the holding processes
before executing the MSI, so that the Files In Use won’t detect anything
(normally, since the user may be editing/blocking something, but that
should be very rare, and outside control)???****

** **

I’ve tried to play with****

** **

<Property Id="MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL" Value="Disable" />****

<Property Id="MSIDISABLERMRESTART" Value="1" />****

<Property Id="MSIRMSHUTDOWN" Value="2" />****

** **

but it works sometimes and sometimes not (that really got be puzzled), so I
cannot trust them.****

** **

Kind Regards,****

/Gustavo****