Comparing the component GUIDs in the original (broken 3.0 MSI) against the
same version MSI built with 3.5 shows that the hard-coded GUIDs are the
same, no surprise there. Now, the heat generated component GUIDs are
different, these use the "*".

I am not sure why this would be? I am building the MSI at my desk versus
our build server so the build paths might be different, however the
component paths (where the files go on the system) are identical.

Either way, these are just file components and although messy, should not
be causing me any problems when I attempt to install my new version of the
product after the uninstall.

However, when performing the uninstall against the updated cache DB, even
the components with the *same* GUID are not being removed either. I don't
understand why this would be, unless the package GUID somehow plays a role
here? I don't see the package GUID defined in any of the tables. Where do I
find this so that I can make the package GUID in my replacement MSI the
same? This is all assuming the package GUID has anything to do with the
issue I am seeing.

Thanks.