Thanks, Jacob, for the explanation about Setup Project being the right
type.  Good to know.

Actually, I didn't miss the next step about selecting the Projects tab.
I did select it, but as I had mentioned (probably not very clearly),
there were no items listed under Projects at all (which is why I then
tried to find MyApplication via the Browser tab of the same dialog).

Does that mean I didn't follow Step 1 correctly in creating
MyApplication?  It's hard to see what I could have done wrong, since
that step is so simple.  What kind of file is Visual Studio looking for
in order to list a project under the Projects tab? There is a
MyApplication.sln and a MyApplication.csproj, so I don't know why it's
not finding the project.  (I also then tried creating a C++ instead of
C# application, but there's still nothing under the Projects tab, and
selecting the .vcxproj file via the Browse tab resulted in the same
error as selecting the .csproj file.)

Or could it mean there's something unusual about my Visual Studio
configuration (although I think I did a very generic installation)?  I
forgot to mention I'm on Windows XP SP3 (5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build
2600).  Here's what the "About Microsoft Visual Studio" dialog reports:

> [...]
> This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
> If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be
> uninstalled automatically.
> For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2522890.
>
> Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU
> (KB2529927)   KB2529927
> This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
> If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be
> uninstalled automatically.
> For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2529927.
>
> Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU
> (KB2548139)   KB2548139
> This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
> If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be
> uninstalled automatically.
> For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2548139.
>
> Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU
> (KB2549864)   KB2549864
> This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
> If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be
> uninstalled automatically.
> For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2549864.
>
> Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU
> (KB2565057)   KB2565057
> This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
> If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be
> uninstalled automatically.
> For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2565057.
>
> Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU
> (KB2635973)   KB2635973
> This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
> If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be
> uninstalled automatically.
> For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2635973.
>
> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU Service Pack 1
> (KB983509)   KB983509
> This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
> If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack
> will be uninstalled automatically.
> For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983509.
>
> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools 10.0.40219
> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools
>
> Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU
> (KB2645410)   KB2645410
> This security update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional
> - ENU.
> If you later install a more recent service pack, this security update
> will be uninstalled automatically.
> For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645410.
>
> Windows Installer XML Toolset 3.6
> Windows Installer XML Toolset 3.6.3303.0
> Copyright © Outercurve Foundation. All rights reserved.

Any clues here?

Thanks,
Doug