Reading through the source code and just doing some experimentation helped me
figure it out. But in case anyone else is looking for a practical
definition:

Error during MSI 3 here means rollback to the last boundary. Uninstall MSI 2
and 3, but keep 1 since it was before the boundary:
<Chain>
   <MsiPackage ... />
    *<RollbackBoundary />*
    <MsiPackage ... />
   <MsiPackage ... />
</Chain>

If boundary is not "vital", we will continue on at the next boundary. If
error hit during MSI 2, rollback MSI 2, but since it's not vital, continue
on at the next boundary, installing MSI 3. In the end, we keep MSI 1 and 3,
essentially skipping MSI 2:
<Chain>
    <MsiPackage ... />
    *<RollbackBoundary Vital="no" />*