Hi all

I've started the arduous process of recreating a new installer using WiX to
replace our existing VS2010 Setup Projects.

Unfortunately it's not been smooth sailing, because to be able to create some
basic installation capabilities like dependencies discovery, website
installation, content harvesting, etc. has taken a lot of time and research.
I've bridged most of those with various solutions from the web, but have now
struck out with the installation of a service.

Specifically we harvest content and dependencies using heat (during Build
Event) because website projects, and other projects have content that regularly
change) and it's simply not feasible to manually update the .WXS file for those
changes.

One of those projects for installation is a Windows service (in fact it's a
.NET Service with a ServiceInstaller implemented). The frustration I'm having
is being able to point <ServiceInstall ... /> to the service executable,
without having to place the <ServiceInstall /> for it inside the generated
(harvested) .WXS file (within in the same <Component ... /> for the <File />).

Given my relatively basic understanding of WiX I'm wondering if there is a way
to reference that component in a fragment or something so that the
<ServiceInstall ... /> can find the service it needs to install.

Stating the same problem differently, the <File /> pointing to the Service
executable is located in one .WXS (a generated one) and the  <ServiceInstall />
for it is located in another .WXS file (manually maintained) - how can I marry
the Service Install to make it work?

I also have another question regarding some of the properties for Service
Install - and I'm not sure why they are there, for example DisplayName,
Description, Account, etc. - these are already defined in the .NET
ServiceInstaller code and should just be used not so?

Thanks all
Johann