Oh, glad I asked then. The way that I've done localizable text in software
has been to use a satellite assembly. In that case, I think that each set of
localized strings gets its own assembly (if I am remembering that
correctly). Maybe best practice is to include all of these assemblies in the
install, but possibly only install the "extra" language assemblies if some
optional Feature is selected. (In that case, localization variables probably
aren't necessary and everything is handled by including components in the
proper features.)

I just thought that there might be a situation where someone would want to
change the GUID on a component if the MSI is built for a different language?
If that ever happens (and it may not), is using a localization variable not
the best way to go about switching the GUID on a component? I'm a little out
of my depth here. Is this something that isn't really ever done?