I believe that adding an XmlFile element inside of a Component will add an
action to the install sequence that will do the XML writing. That would
happen during the installation, not at the end. Is it a hard requirement
that this only be performed at the end? All actions that change the state of
the user's system should happen during the install so that they can be
rolled back or uninstalled. Actions at the end do not have these features.

If you wanted to control whether the action is performed, you could add the
XmlFile element inside of a component. Then, set a WiX property with a
checkbox or some other UI control. Next, check this property in the
component using a Condition element to either allow or not allow that
component to be processed. That way, you're controlling the writing to the
registry with the checkbox, but are also giving it rollback/uninstall
capabilities.

(I haven't checked that the rollback capabilities of XmlFile work)

Could you give more background on what you want to do?