Hi there,

I'm currently trying to install the following bundle in wix burn v3.6 that
contains:

1) SQL Server 2008 R2 (ExePackage)
2) My main program

That all works fine, but when I create a upgraded bundle to update my main
program, it will remove SQL Server 2008 R2 during the stage where it
removes the older bundles.

Is there a way to prevent the bootstrapper from removing the exepackage?

I know I can counter-act that by writing some managed code in
PlanPackageBegin to change the requestedstate to stay as "Present" instead
of "Absent". However that also triggers another problem.

Consider the scenario when you're upgrading from SQL 2008 R2 SP1 to SP2...
but you don't want to force your users to upgrade to SP2 if they already
have SP1 installed (because it's slow and it's 'good enough').

WiX won't cache the SP2 package during the install time because we've
detected that the ExePackage is already present. And this will cause a
problem when the user is trying to uninstall, because the SP2 package won't
be located on the system.

Is there a way to make a bundle so that you can also have some flexibility
in what version the ExePackage is? For example, both SP1 and SP2 are
tolerable but SP2 is preferred, and I only want to include the SP2 package
for an offline installer.

Thanks,

--
Sunny Li