problem comes from:
wix37-sources\src\DTF\Libraries\Resources\VersionStringTable.cs (line 81)
where verValue.Data is set, and in VersionInfo.cs (line 83): this.isString
= false;
so we lose the info that verValue is a string.
Could it be fixed before final release of WiX 3.7?

to reproduce while debugging:
Microsoft.Deployment.Resources.ResourceCollection resources = new
Microsoft.Deployment.Resources.ResourceCollection();
Microsoft.Deployment.Resources.VersionResource version = new
Microsoft.Deployment.Resources.VersionResource("#1", 1033);
version.Load("c:\\temp\\burn.exe");
resources.Add(version);
Microsoft.Deployment.Resources.VersionStringTable strings = version[1033];
strings["CompanyName"] = "blabla";
resources.Save("c:\\temp\\burn2.exe");

isString is set to false just after the assignment.

Maybe I should not post this on the wix-user list?!