 From: "Rob Mensching" <r...@robmensching.com>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 10:46 PM
To: "General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset."
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Transition from InstallShield to WiX

Easiest way is to use dark to decompile your MSI.  Burn (the WiX toolset
bootstrapper) creates Bundles that can install prerequisites and far more.
For example, the Visual Studio install (~130 packages) uses Burn to
install.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Richard J Otter <r...@columbia.edu>
wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a web resource that would ease the transition
from
> InstallShield to WiX?
>
> I've been using DTF for several years writing custom actions for
> InstallShield. I'm interesting in giving the rest of WiX a try.
>
> I'm specifically confused about the "Wix bootstrapper" and how it is
> involved with the msi GUI. (huh?) I assumes a bootstrapper for WiX would
be
> like the bootstrapper for IS in that it could install prerequisites.
>
> Thanks.
> Richard

> Master HTML5, CSS3, ASP.NET, MVC, AJAX, Knockout.js, Web API and
> much more. Get web development skills now with LearnDevNow -
> 350+ hours of step-by-step video tutorials by Microsoft MVPs and
experts.
> SALE $99.99 this month only -- learn more at:
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122812

virtually,

Rob Mensching
http://RobMensching.com LLC