Starting with Vista the WinSxS runtime assemblies aren't committed until
InstallFinalize.  This meant my service couldn't be started as part of
the StartServices action.  I had to write a commit custom action to
start the service for me.  It's possible that this is the issue you're
running into, and it just happens to work on Windows 7 because the
runtime you need is already there.  Don't start the service during the
installation, and see if you can start it from the Services panel
afterwards.

Rob