From: Gabriel Ivanes [mailto:g...@fastmail.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:17 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Related to Sequences

[TestReg]tab.reg => [INSTALLFOLDER]tab.reg

INSTALLFOLDER shouldn't be empty to be created or you need to use
CreateFolder's table
(http://wix.tramontana.co.hu/tutorial/com-expression-syntax-miscellanea/creating-directories)

Any need to import reg.exe in binary table ? Why not using CA 34 ?
(http://blogs.technet.com/b/alexshev/archive/2008/02/21/from-msi-to-wix-part-5-custom-actions.aspx)

Le Mer 23 Janvier 2013, à 10:09, Karkare,Aparna a écrit :
> My installer makes changes in registry. Before that it should take back
> up of registry in a .reg file. It is doing all this but with few
> problems.
>
> If I store the reg back up file in program files folder then it is saved
> there through below code:
>

> <Binary Id="reg" SourceFile="C:\WINDOWS\system32\reg.exe"></Binary>
>
> <CustomAction Id="CA_reg" BinaryKey ="reg" Execute="deferred"
> ExeCommand="EXPORT &quot;HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\TabbedBrowsing&quot;
> &quot;[ProgramFilesFolder]tab.reg&quot;"></CustomAction>
>

> But If I try to save it in the Install folder then it is not saved,
> rather install folder itself is not getting created. See the code below:
>
> <Binary Id="reg" SourceFile="C:\WINDOWS\system32\reg.exe"></Binary>
>
> <CustomAction Id="CA_reg" BinaryKey ="reg" Execute="deferred"
> ExeCommand="EXPORT &quot;HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\TabbedBrowsing&quot;
> &quot;[TestReg]tab.reg&quot;"></CustomAction>
>
> <InstallExecuteSequence>
>                      <Custom Action="CA_reg"
>                      Before="ProcessComponents">NOT Installed</Custom>
> </InstallExecuteSequence>
>
> <Fragment>
>               <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
>                      <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
>                            <Directory Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Name="TestReg"
>                            />
>                      </Directory>
>               </Directory>
> </Fragment>
>

> What am I missing? Do I have to specify Directory in the custom action?
> Or is it happening because of sequencing problem? I have tried
> After="InstallInitialize" too. May be the custom action is getting
> executed before the Install folder could get created but then when
> installation is finished I don't see the Install folder too.
>
> Basically I want the reg. back up to be stored inside my install folder.
> Please guide me.
>

> Regards,
> Aparna Karkare

> This communication, including attachments, is confidential, may be
> subject to legal privileges, and is intended for the sole use of the
> addressee. Any use, duplication, disclosure or dissemination of this
> communication, other than by the addressee, is prohibited. If you have
> received this communication in error, please notify the sender
> immediately and delete or destroy this communication and all copies.

Sincèrement,
Gabriel

"I know no way of judging the future but by the past."
    Patrick Henry
"You can never plan the future by the past."
    Edmund Burke