I've been using Burn and Wix for a bit now and while not a Wix specific issue
I was hoping for some comments from the community.
  I currently have a single MSI with ~30k components. During installations and
major upgrades it appears the sheer number of components is causing performance
issues (the files are data files so there aren't version info headers). What is
the best way of increasing installation and updates performance without
sacrificing best practices (one file per component)? Would breaking the install
into multiple MSI's provide any benefit even though all of the MSI's would need
to be installed? Would embedding the data into multiple DLLs with version info
be worth the effort? (Most of the files are < 1kb, but I believe Windows
installer hashes the files if they don't have version info and the create and
modify timestamps are the same.) Are there any other options available?

  This MSI is being serviced by burn, so the system restore point should be
disabled as burn creates one for all of the items in the chain. I am running
RemoveExistingProducts after InstallInitialize. I am using external CAB files,
and all CABs, MSI's and the bundle are digitally signed.

Thanks,
Jacob