 From: malliina...@gmail.com
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:43 AM
To: "wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net" <wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [WiX-users] ServiceInstall fragment for Java applications

Is it possible to use the ServiceInstall fragment for Java applications
packaged with WiX?

Currently, I have created an MSI installer for a Java application with WiX. I'm
using a java service wrapper (http://kenai.com/projects/winsw/pages/Home) and
Custom Actions in WiX to install/uninstall the application as a service.
However, based on discussions elsewhere, there appear to be drawbacks to using
Custom Actions while the ServiceInstall fragment seems more appropriate for
installing applications as a service. I'm researching the possibility of
creating a valid service executable in C# that I can use in a ServiceInstall
fragment that would in turn start/stop my java app, if that helps.

Any feedback on the recommended way forward is appreciated. Any solutions which
involve restrictive software licenses are not acceptable.

Thanks

Michael