See Java Service Wrapper:
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/introduction.html

 From: "Castro, Edwin G. (Hillsboro)" <edwin.cas...@fiserv.com>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 10:54 AM
To: "afor...@cmu.edu" <afor...@cmu.edu>, "General discussion for Windows
Installer XML toolset." <wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>, "Phil Wilson"
<phil.wil...@mvps.org>
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Service not starting

Services in Windows are not background processes. They are processes that
support a very specific API for service management
(Start/Stop/Suspend/Resume/etc). My gut says that the java VM doesn't
natively support that API which is going to cause problems when the system
tells the "service" to start. Searching for java windows service on Google
yielded a number of results that say you'll need to use a wrapper to
execute your java app as a windows service.

Edwin G. Castro
Software Developer - Staff
Digital Channels
Fiserv