For the 1st release of an installer I used this to conditionally install a
component:

i.e. only install ProductFeatures.2 if INSTALL_TYPE = 2

INSTALL_TYPE is passed in from command line / burn MsiProperty.

It worked fine & on uninstall everything gets removed.  Great.

But now when v2 went out (major upgrade) I noticed that during the upgrade
process, the files for 'ProductComponents.2' didnt get removed during the
upgrade (i.e. the RemoveExistingProducts step).  Also, if v2 is then
unistalled, we find that these files are left behind, still referenced by
something.

The mangled component GUID for the component in question in
...\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components can be seen to have 2 products(?)
referencing it.

I can alter this to :

which seems to work much better, but if V1 is already installed then the
damage has already been done & i cant figure out the best way of tidying up
properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.