From: Rob Mensching [mailto:r...@robmensching.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:40 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Using Update Element of the Bundle?

In WiX v3.7 (and maybe all of WiX v3.7+) the Update/@Location really is
just information provided to the BootstrapperApplication. Basically if you
have an update location, the engine will say, "Hey, BA, now would be a good
time to use this string and figure out if there is an update."  Technically
speaking, you don't even need to use update location to look updates (WiX
v3.6 did updates without the feature existing) but now you get a pretty
good hint when to go do the search.

After that, I created the "application syndication" idea a long time ago,
using ATOM/RSS to track updates. It was trendy back then and I'm trying to
decide how much to push it going forward. I have a small spec kicking
around here somewhere for the implementation that is in the WiX toolset and
there is helper code in src\dutil\apup.cpp. I'm now wondering if the
web-world has moved far enough to JSON if I should pull the important
information into there... however, IE renders ATOM really nicely, ala:
http://wixtoolset.org/releases/feed/v3.8