 From: "John Ludlow" <john.ludlow...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 9:16 AM
To: "General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset."
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Question about conditional statements in elements

That's true in theory but in practice it's often better to change it
every build. This simplifies the upgrade semantics (upgrade is an
upgrade is an upgrade, rather than worrying about whether it's a small
update, minor upgrade or major upgrade) and makes it much easier to
test that your product can be upgraded by later versions before
release.

I think there are probably upgrade scenarios where a major upgrade
isn't advisable, but I've never seen such a scenario and I can't think
what they might be off the top of my head.

On 23 March 2013 13:28, Bruce Cran <br...@cran.org.uk> wrote:
> On 22/03/2013 17:24, Daniel Madill wrote:
>> Hi Alain,
>>
>> In general, Product ID="*" is a good thing. Each new build should
generate a new product code because it typically means you've made changes
to the product (i.e. made a new version). If you want to test the
Maintenance dialog then run the same MSI (without rebuilding it!) twice.

>> When you use the <MajorUpgrade> element in WiX it handles removing the
old version and installing the new version when you upgrade. Hence, in many
cases the Welcome dialog is entirely appropriate because the user
experience on upgrade or new installation from a UI perspective is similar.
The MajorUpgrade element has options for displaying messages if the user
tries to upgrade or downgrade and should not be allowed, etc. if that's
what you need. If you want something more complicated on upgrade then you
will have to do a little more work.

> Microsoft says the Product Code should identify a particular release

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/aa370854(v=vs.85).a
spx):