Assuming the report about NSIS not using Windows Installer technologies is
true, that should be enough to rule it out as far as I am concerned. Known
logging details, known tools for removal/upgrading, etc. all make WI useful.
Since it is sometimes arcane, that's where the usefulness of WiX comes in - I
find its level of abstraction in its documentation to be about right. Compare
with what we moved away from - Visual Studio set up projects. These always
seemed to run into places where the documentation had crazy but useful gaps, or
they would just fail mysteriously with no ease of finding help. For example, I
migrated a setup project from VS2008 to 2010 and just got an HRESULT style
error back with the project conversion. Why did this happen? A few hours of
google foo and I said "enough is enough I'll move this one to WiX too". And I
haven't looked back.

(Also, does NSIS cost anything? Don't forget the benefit/cost ratio :))

Keith Douglas
Statistics Canada | 170 Tunney's Pasture Driveway, Ottawa ON K1A 0T6
Statistique Canada | 170, promenade Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa ON K1A 0T6
keith.doug...@statcan.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-951-4405
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-951-1966