I also would prefer to make a prerequisite bootstrapper without WPF UI to
install .net 4.5. If you install an update of .Net in a managed bootstrapper
you propably will ran into a system reboot, cause .Net assemlies are loaded
which might be replaced during .Net 4.5 Installation.
If you do not need 4.5 for your product I would prefer to let Windows Update do
the .Net patching. For your customers which install your product this will
reduce installation time.

Markus