For major upgrade case:

yes. The easiest way is to use generated component guids (when the keypath's
name changes (or the directory "chain" changes in the case of filesystem
keypaths) the computed guid will differ, and changing the guid means (from the
POV of Windows Installer) that you deleted the old component and created a new
one. That is why you don't share unchanging resources with other resources that
change in the same component).

For the minor upgrade case: will it hurt your product to leave the dll_ver1.dll
in place and simply not use it and place the dll_ver2.dll SxS? At least until
your next major upgrade?

Blair