The code in 3.5 was buggy. I don't remember the specific issue anymore but it
was either false positives or false negatives on difference detection. I don't
recommend using it for patch building.
In theory it is possible to support non-delta patches with just the table
data/metadata and not file diffing, but delta patches absolutely require both
versions of the file.
The examples in the manual all clearly have both versions of each file
available for the tools used in creating the patch. That is why 3244 was closed
as "expected behavior". Each and every example I have seen brought forth that
doesn't work has been an example without the baseline file version being
available.
If your MSI isn't "too big" and doesn't directly use merge modules (Melt them
to avoid using them "directly") in constructing the target MSI, you may be able
to work around this issue by doing something similar to the following: When
building the baseline MSI, link your MSI into a binary wixout instead of an
MSI, then run light on just that wixout (not including any of the wixlibs or
wixobjs) to produce the MSI. This will create a fully-loaded wixpdb that will
have all files incorporated which you will later pass to Torch (which will pass
those baseline files in the wixmst to Pyro).
This workaround of mine will fail if your MSI is too big, as there are limits
to the size of the cab embedded in the wixpdb (which can't be split as it can
in the MSIs). It will also slow down your baseline builds (because cabbing and
extracting from the cab isn't very fast and is single-threaded, and because you
have to run light twice). But it may help some of you in the interim while we
work on the baseline MSI file extraction code (which is a solution that will
scale).
Blair Murri