Hi, Edwin or Wix Experts,

I had the issue as you mentioned in one of your replies.

"One reason why this CustomAction works from an elevated command prompt but not
from a non-elevated shell is that the CustomAction is scheduled outside of the
installation transaction (before InstallInitialize or after InstallFinalize).
All actions that occur outside the installation transaction."

But, based on some old MSDN paper
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163486.aspx), "Many CustomActions
do not specify the no impersonate flag msidbCustomActionTypeNoImpersonate,
causing the CustomAction to be run as Local System." It looks like if you set
Impersonate = "no", it should work.

But , based on my testing,

<CustomAction Id="GrantBuiltInUserFullAccessToFolder" Return="check"
Execute="deferred"  Impersonate="no" .../>

does not work.

Now my question is how to make "CustomAction" run elevated privilege permission?

Is there an easy way to grant some user different access permission to
different folders during Wix installation process?

Thanks in advance!

JC
Jianxin Chen | Senior Software Engineer
Baker Hughes | Software / Intelligent Production Systems
jianxin.c...@bakerhughes.com<mailto:jianxin.c...@bakerhughes.com>
Office: +1 713.934.4136
14990 Yorktown Plaza Drive, Houston, 77040
http://www.bakerhughes.com<http://www.bakerhughes.com/> | Advancing Reservoir
Performance