I think the part you are missing is " all changed components from that fragment
will show up in your patch".  I can't imagine only wanting a patch to contain a
subset of changed components.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phill Hogland [mailto:phogl...@rimage.com]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 11:40 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] [Patch] Best practice using fragments

I am relatively new to WiX 3.7 and MSI (and having lots of fun with the great
WiX documentation and information available in the forum).  As I get my BA/msi
functional I am trying to review best practices and I came across a post at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/471424/wix-tricks-and-tips

In particular:
"Put Components which may be patched individually inside their own Fragments

It goes for both making product installers and patches that if you include any
component in a fragment, you must include all of the components in that
fragment. In the case of building an installer, if you miss any component
references, you'll get a linking error from light.exe. However, when you make a
patch, if you include a single component reference in a fragment, then all
changed components from that fragment will show up in your patch."

I hope to always do Major Update builds. and the boss seems to agree.
However the boss may change his mind and at some point expect me to create a
patch.  I have tried to implement the 'one resource per component' pattern with
auto generated GUIDs, in logical ComponentGroups of related files.  I have one
ComponentGroup per Fragment.  But if we did do a patch, I expect that they
would only want to change one or two files and not include all of the files in
a ComponentGroup.  Now I am wondering if I need to go back and restructure my
project to only have 'one component pre fragment' (and I guess this means not
use ComponentGroups)?

Other than the above post, I did not find this suggestion of creating one
fragment per file discussed in any other forum or tutorial.  I tried to follow
the structure of the WiX 3.7 tools setup and that seems to be working as I test
my project.  I guess I am looking for advice on best practice to be ready to do
a patch if I really have too someday down the road.

Thanks;
Phill