What does your patch log show as being the places that more time is used? You
can compare the install log and patch log to see where the differences in
processing are occurring.

Unless you have RemoveFile operations that run at install (as opposed to
remove) then there shouldn't be any RemoveFile happening. Are you using delta
or whole-file patching?

When patching, Windows Installer will copy all files to be patched to a cache,
and if you are using delta patches it will verify the applicability of the
patch to the file being patched, before it actually starts altering the files
themselves. Each of those file operations (including the stream and cabinet
extractions required to support them) are all run serially on a single thread
in the MSI service and depend greatly on both the speed of the disks/filesystem
and the memory pressures on the OS's file cache.

Remember that applying a patch is a "repair" operation so any custom actions
that run in your repairs will affect your patching as well. If you can limit
which features are patched, and you use feature installation to filter your
custom actions, you can limit the time spent on unneeded activities. If you
have just one feature, you are reinstalling all 27k files, not just the 15k you
are changing/adding.

Also Windows Installer does slow down once certain limits of number of
components are reached. How many seems to depend somewhat on the platforms
involved and their configurations, I haven't seen hard numbers. By comparison
your major upgrade still has to evaluate the installation would be upgrading,
so I wouldn't be surprised to see it slightly more than double the time
compared to the original clean install (you appear to have almost doubled your
install size with this patch).