According to the MSDN documentation, small updates are for small fixes
that don't change the product version. But I can't find definite
information on what to do with *file* versions. Do I still need to
increase the file version (in the VERSIONINFO resource) of Win32 PE
files that I modify in a small update patch?

If yes, is that the numeric FILEVERSION, the string FileVersion, or
both? And can I bump only the 4th component, or does Windows Installer
only take the first three into account? (Perhaps I'm mixing things up
and that's only for MSI product versions, not file versions...)

--
Nicolás