Hi all,

I have a weird problem. When a custom action fails, the installation fails
and no files are installed. However, when I check in the control panel the
version number has been updated to the new version. Subsequent attempts to
install the new version trivially succeed – but my files are still the old
version. Basically after a failed custom action I cannot upgrade.  In the
test I started with version 4.0.2717 and afterwards it was still there, but
in control panel it says my version is 4.0.2816. Is there something I need
to do to prevent the installation from updating the product code on
failure? Here’s a snippet from the msi log. I’m using WiX 3.5.

…

Calling custom action
CustomActions!CustomActions.CustomActions.RemoveShortcuts

Begin RemoveShortcuts

Exception thrown by custom action:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
the target of an invocation. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The
system cannot find the file specified

   at CustomActions.CustomActions.GetKnownFolderPath(Guid guid)

   at CustomActions.CustomActions.RemoveShortcuts(Session session)

   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo
method, Object target, Object arguments, SignatureStruct& sig,
MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)

   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo
method, Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes
methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)

   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean
skipVisibilityChecks)

   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)

   at
Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32
sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)

CustomAction RemoveBoxShortcuts returned actual error code 1603 (note this
may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 15:14:02: RemoveBoxShortcuts. Return value 3.

Action ended 15:14:02: INSTALL. Return value 3.

…

Property(S): SourcedirProduct = {15040EF7-472F-476C-B481-9E0D966C26DB}

Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1

MSI (s) (F4:F4) [15:14:02:537]: Product: Box Sync -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (F4:F4) [15:14:02:537]: Windows Installer installed the product.
Product Name: Box Sync. Product Version: 4.0.2816.0. Product Language:
1033. Manufacturer: Box, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

=== Logging stopped: 8/6/2013  15:14:02 ===

-Dave

Dave Sawyer  - dsaw...@box.com
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that,
I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.