If heat generates a file with unique identifiers for each element, is it
true that the Id of a particular element can't be referenced elsewhere,
as there is no way to determine the correct name?

I am facing this situation by trying to create a file association, where
my exe has an Id that changes every time I run heat, yet creating a file
association requires a TargetFile and Icon that refer to an Id, and not
the name of the file it self.

The following is a file association, but the '?' are the areas of
interest:
<ProgId Id="galileoGlobalProject" Description="Galileo Global Project" Icon="?"
IconIndex="0" >
  <Extension Id="galileoGlobalProject" >
    <Verb Command="Open" Id="open" TargetFile="?" Argument="&quot;%1&quot;" />
  </Extension>
</ProgId>

A hack is calling heat.exe with argument -suid, which sets the Id = file
name, and I simply use the file name in TargetFile="file_name.exe", but
it has issues if two files have the same name in different areas (i
think).

Since heat is part of wix it seems like in the design of how all the
parts fit together there must be a better way.

NOTICE: This email may contain confidential information.  Please see
http://www.meyersound.com/confidential/ for our complete policy.