What I have done in this situation, is to comment out the theme file that is
causing the problem and get your setup to the point where it will display
dialogs using the internal default files.  Then as the setup is running
displaying the first dialog, open Windows Explorer, go to %temp% and look
for the most recent folder with a GUID name and a subfolder, typically named
ba1 (but it may be named baX where X is a number).  You could launch
ProcessMon first and set the filter to capture input from your bundle.exe,
and it will show the correct path.

Anyway in the %temp%\ba1 folder, while your setup is displaying a dialog,
copy the thm.xml, thm.wxl, and logo.png files.  You can then use these files
as a starting point in your UI customization.  I also had issues trying to
use the RtfTheme.xml file that was in the source zip package.  I did not
take the time to figure out what the difference was between the default that
it actually used and the one in the source zip.