Yes, I keep forgetting that WixVariables and binder variables are both resolved
in the binder and not the linker. I'm thinking of writing a binder for patching
does everything the binder would do except actually assemble the MSI and
associated cabs. Then you could melt your baseline MSI, pass wixpdbs to torch,
and avoid much of the build slowdown and excess disk space consumption used in
generating MSP files today. Then pipeline it into the current .target files and
make that one less manual hassle to get to patching.

Enrique Domínguez <edoming...@goalsystems.com> wrote:

Hi Blair,
1) My team leader found source of trouble, error appear when you add a binary
resource via wix variable like this,
<Binary Id="WixUI_Bmp_Banner" SourceFile="!(wix.WixUIBannerBmp)"/>

Currently we aren't using that directly, but it's default included with
WixUI_Common reference (we built UIs over that) Wixout xml part got lines like:
<field cabinetFileId="6"
previousData="!(wix.WixUIUpIco=E:\delivery\Dev\wix36_public\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\Bitmaps\up.ico)"

previousCabinetFileId="7">!(wix.WixUIUpIco=E:\delivery\Dev\wix36_public\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\Bitmaps\up.ico)</field>

Temporary solution was including WixUI_Common with hardcoded filepaths in wix
project.

2) Another issue we found was building with <Product Id="*".../> Msi's and
mst's worked fine, but wixouts don't. Torch told us,
error TRCH0269: The value '*' is not valid for the ProductCode when used in a
transform or in a patch. Copy the ProductCode from your target product MSI into
the Product/@Id attribute value for your product authoring.