I tried to submit this as a bug on wixtoolset but I always get error
messages when trying to submit bugs or save comments.  I've filed a bug on
that over at github tiny bugs.

(I can't help wonder the prudence of creating a bug tracking system when so
much wix work needs to be done.... but heh...)

Starting with WiX 3.8, the C# CA project type (and VB) fail to compile when
created.  The error message:

Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.dll must be included in the list of
support files. If using the MSBuild targets, make sure the assembly
reference has the Private (Copy Local) flag set.

Pervious versions had this already set to True.   What's worse is that if
you take a C# project from a previous version and try to build it with 3.8
that the error message appears.   This tells me that something inside WiX
changed where references used to default to True not default to False.
This will cause backwards compatibility problems when people try to build
with a newer version of WiX and all the projects fail to build unless they
are all checked out, updated and checked in.