From:   Bruce Cran <br...@cran.org.uk>
To:     "General discussion about the WiX toolset."
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>,
Date:   23/10/2013 06:34 AM
Subject:        Re: [WiX-users] Signing binaries and msi...

On 10/22/2013 6:47 PM, Tony wrote:
> Answering my own question...
>
> ".(though now I see it needs to be "property", so I'll give that a try)"
>   <-- that was it.  I don't know why I was thinking it need to be a WiX
> property and/or preprocessor variable.  **OBVIOUSLY** it needs to be a
> "property" within the project file.  Duh!
>
> Now the signing attempt fails as expected.  I'll go grab our signing
cert
> and give it try.

When you install the cert you might want to change the signtool commands
to specify its thumbprint instead of relying on signtool's auto-selection:

signtool sign /sha1 cert-thumbprint
or, specify the cert's Subject Name with /n. I realised my previous
email used the wrong parameter for the description: I think it's
actually /d.

Another thing: MSBuild has a built-in task for running signtool,
SignFile - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164304.aspx. But I
ended up writing my own implementation which retries 10 times with
pauses in-between to try and handle network problems which prevent the
timestamp server being reached.

--
Bruce Cran

October Webinars: Code for Performance
Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most
from