Hi,

During uninstallation path, Our MSI executes a custom action
say RemoveXX which executes RemoveYY method from the dll MyDLL.
This custom action is scheduled before “RemoveFiles” in Install Execute
sequence. The MSI been tested many times over the past 6 months and has always
worked without any issues. Recently, we saw a very strange issue on a VM
running on Windows Server 2008 R2, where MyDLL gets removed by the time
the custom action RemoveXX executes. As a result, the CA fails resulting in the
uninstallation failure with a dialog that contains this message –

A DLL required for this install to complete could not be
run.

The log file indicates the same issue –

CustomAction RemoveXX returned actual error code
1157 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside
sandbox)

MSI (s) (C8:28) [12:14:56:354]: Product: MyProduct --
Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL
required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support
personnel or package vendor.  Action RemoveXX, entry: RemoveYY, library:
<InstallPath>\MyDLL.dll

After repair/reinstallation, I verified that MyDLL exists
under InstallPath but the during uninstallation it gets removed by the time I
see the dialog. Please note that other files are still present under
InstallPath.

I have tried analyzing the log file (that was generated
using /l*vx, containing extra debugging information), but I see no information
regarding MyDLL getting removed before the Custom action scheduling.

I would appreciate in any help with –

1.
A way to debug this issue.

2.
Any ideas/theories on what might be going on
here.

Regards,

Surya