A tester ran into an issue recently where the the machine got a BSOD near the
end of an install.  While there is not a problem with the install itself,
the blue screen caused a strange side effect that I want to explain.

The install log indicates the install was successful and product is on disk
and is functional.  However, the product is not listed in ARP and I looked
through the registry and the nuggets related to the install like all the
Components under Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components do not exist.  It is
like the products installed but Windows Installer has no record of the
installation.

Running the msi again takes you through a new install path.  Doing an
msiexec with /X to remove throws up a message that the option is only
available for installed products.

As I mentioned the log indicates a successful install and that the
MainEngineThread is returning 0.  Does all the Windows Installer related
housekeeping get done by Windows Installer after the product is installed
and logging has stopped?

I am thinking at this point it is probably safe to delete the files from
disk and run the install as usual since there seems to be no record of the
install from a Windows Installer perspective.

Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks