Features become advertised when the component rules are broken. To ensure that
this issue doesn't happen, set the property MSIENFORCEUPGRADECOMPONENTRULES to
1 (the attempt to patch will instead have failed, and a verbose log would tell
you what the offending component rule violation was).

Sometime I think we should set that all the time, unless an explicit "opt-out"
is used in the authoring...

To workaround this issue once it happens, run a repair.

-Blair