Hello,

Let me explain my scenario.

During the installation of my product, i need to install print drivers.

We make use of  printui.dll to install the print drivers.  The driver
package consists of  an .inf file, .cat file and the files referenced in the
.cat.

Here is my scenario:

-I install v 1.0 of my print drivers. Everything works fine.

-Down the line, there is an update to the print drivers. As part of the
update, the print  driver package now consists of some additional files.
The corresponding .inf and .cat file have been updated.  The  .inf has
references to these new files which have been made part of the driver
package.

When i make use of printui.dll to install the printers, instead of updating
the existing print drivers, it installs the updated printers side by side. I
can confirm this in the following ways:

-A new oem#.inf file is generated under  C:\windows\inf for the newer
version of the print drivers. The oem#.inf file for the older version of the
print drivers also exists.

-The updated printer files are copied under
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\<printer driver file folder
V2>

I also see the older version of printer driver files under
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\<printer driver file folder
V1>

-When i try adding a new printer using the "Add Printer" wizard in Windows,
i see two versions of  printer drivers listed.

Questions:

-Is there a way to force the existing printer driver to be updated with the
newer version rather than having the two version of printer drivers exist
side by side?

-Before updating the print drivers, is it necessary to delete the print
drivers and then install them fresh?

The command used to install the print drivers is :

rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry   /ia /m "<Name of the printer>" /f
"<path to driver .inf>"

The command used to delete the print drivers is:

rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry  /dd /m "<Name of the printer>" /f
"<path to driver .inf>"

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,