I am implementing a new installer for a product that needs to include several
GB of data. I'm planning on having a single MSI for the application, several
MSIs for the data, and using burn to chain everything together.

The data will change periodically and updates will be delivered online, so
patching is a must. I've never had to implement patches in a user facing
product before, and am confused about the following:

The first installer will obviously be very large (as all of the data must be
included). Once we start releasing updates, do we release a "full" update
with all of the data for new users alongside a patch update for existing
users? Is there a way to just release the patches and have the bootstrapper
download the initial msi if it's being installed by a new user? Or do we
always download the initial data msi to keep the user experience consistent
(ie, the first installer would be very small, but download the full data)?