From: Jun Yin [mailto:jun...@microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 3:14 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] 3 questions about Burn

I am trying to create a simple Bundle with a few MSP patches using WIX and
Burn. According to the documentation, it seems very straight forward, like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";
xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/BalExtension";
xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension";>
       <Bundle Version="1.0" UpgradeCode="E2713294-EE47-4A20-A2B0-7F9BD6EF0D50">
              <BootstrapperApplicationRef
Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense">
                     <bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication
LicenseFile="eula-en-us.rtf" SuppressOptionsUI="yes"/>
              </BootstrapperApplicationRef>
              <Chain>
                     <MspPackage Id="ccc" SourceFile="ccc-x-none.msp" />
                     <MspPackage Id="mmm" SourceFile="mmm-x-none.msp" />
              </Chain>
       </Bundle>
</Wix>

However, the built bundle seems very primitive and therefore I want to know if
Burn supports the following features:

1. It display EULA only in en-us language. Is it possible or how to embed EULA
of multiple languages into the bundle, so Burn can display EULA corresponding
to user's operating system locale?

2. "Bundle.exe /layout" does not extract EULA and individual MSP files,
instead, it copies Bundle.exe itself to the specified directory. Our scenario
requires the support of file extraction, so users can examine the files or
deploy them to elsewhere.

I know we can use dark to decompose the bundle, but users have to download WIX
toolset to have dark.exe. It is not convenient compared to a self-extracting
archive.

3. The bundle does not detect MSP applicability. If I install Bundle.exe to a
system with no RTM product installed, the bundle still claims it installs
successfully. We would like to show an error instead.

Though it is possible to use <util:ProductSearch> and <bal:Condition> to detect
MSP applicability, it is really cumbersome and duplicated work, as in the
bundle, Burn already generates in "UX\manifest.xml" that contains the
/BurnManifest/Chain/MspPackage/@PatchXml  which is designed specifically for
MSP applicability detection.

Thank you,
Jun