From: Hoover, Jacob [mailto:jacob.hoo...@greenheck.com]
Sent: 11 February 2014 17:57
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] how to auto-update like ClickOnce in WIX

My approach was to make the burn bundle responsible for the updates just like
it was responsible for the initial install. With that, I have submitted some
core changes to WiX which are currently in limbo of being accepted as the
Detect call now requires a HWND to be passed.  If and when the self-updating
bundle changes get accepted, it will be as simple as:

1) Bundle created with WiX must utilize the /Bundle/Update/@Location to specify
a URL to an atom feed for the application.
2) Atom feed must publish when new updates are available
3) Application is responsible for invoking the bundle and requesting an update
check.  Alternatively, a user can go to ARP and select modify.  The modify page
will have a check for updates button.
4) Regardless of if the Application or ARP invoked the check, if the atom feed
indicates a newer version is available it will prompt the user to update.  If
the user updates, it will use the existing logic to download the updated bundle
from the location specified in the atom feed. From there, it's nothing
different than if a user had manually downloaded an updated bundle.

As for the application side, I created a simple WixUtil.dll that you could
include with your application to probe for bundle information based on a bundle
upgrade code. With that, you can then read bundle properties like the
ModifyPath which will have the path to the bundle on the local machine.