a) Yes, that's the restart manager.

 Try reading up on this stuff at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372059(v=vs.85).aspx (Rob gave me
this link when I was working through something else.) It's tricky and
confusing, took me a day or two of reading, testing and begging for help
here to get a quiet install to quietly install without killing off running
programs. And I'm targeting Windows 7 only.

Do you really need to target XP? It's end of life from Microsoft April 8.
At that point I expect a lot of ISVs to use that as a reason to discontinue
their support. Perhaps you could just punt and tell the user they have to
exit the GUI app if they want the uninstall to work.