Greetings,

I have a question regarding the Major upgrade feature of Wix/MSI.

I configured my Wix project to be able to do a major upgrade even on the same
version. So only downgrades are not possible.

Result:
I build version 1.0.0.0 and run it. --> Installs the product.
I rebuild version 1.0.0.0 with a different product code and run it. --> Does an
upgrade to essentially the same version (including removal of the previous
instance)

So, everything as expected.

My problem now is:
---------------------------------
I want to give my internal customers the possibility to "configure" the MSI
package, allowing them to add command line commands, which will get executed by
one of my custom actions. Therefore I developed a small .NET application, which
accesses the MSI table changing a property which includes the commands AND
changing the ProductCode property.

My expectations now were, that, because the ProductCode was changed, MSI now
again sees the configured package as a Major Upgrade and removes the old
instance and installs the new one. But it doesn't.
Somehow MSI still knows, that this particular MSI package is installed on the
system and does only a reconfiguration of the old instance, by using the
original MSI package from windows chache, including the old command property.

Is there something else I need to change to tell MSI that the "configured"
package is essentially the same a a new built one? Is that even possible?

kind regards,
Michael Forstner