From: Phil Wilson [mailto:phildgwil...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:30 AM
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Run As Admin required to run installer as passive from
command line

Apparently your MSI needs admin privilege to install, since you need admin
rights to install it silently, and I'm guessing that on UAC systems in UI mode
it gives you the elevation prompt so it will run elevated.  If it tries to do
things that require admin rights then it must be given admin rights. There's no
exemption from security rules just because it's an install.  Even if it's a per
user install that attempts to do things that require admin rights it will still
fail.
There's no obvious reason why the Visual Studio scenario would have worked
unless the setup has been changed in some way that it now requires admin rights.

The priority in the setup is to decide whether you want per user or per system,
and per system is usually the correct answer. If this is just the update
scenario where the app is being run by a limited user, but it needs admin
rights to do the update, you could run the MSI from a separate executable with
a requiresAdministrator manifest then an admin can come along and supply
credentials. Or if it's a corporate type of environment an update can be pushed
out to limited users via admin-blessed group policy.

By default, MSIINSTALLPERUSER doesn't apply to XP.
Phil Wilson