Uma,

First of all, I don't think you can insert XML before a given node using
XmlConfig; you can only append a new child to a given parent node.
(http://stackoverflow.com/q/8224918)

Also, there are two nodes that match your XPath expression, and XmlConfig
only uses the first match.  Since you know that the node you have just added
will always be the last one (due to the append behavior), you should try
this XPath for your 1002 expression instead:

ElementPath="//SnippetCollection//Language/SnippetDir[\[]last()[\]]"

Notice that you must escape the square brackets per
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/aa368609.aspx

I am not certain whether the last() function actually works on XmlConfig,
but this should get you closer.  If that does not work, then you can try
this instead:

      <util:XmlConfig On="install" Action="create"
Id="CreateSnippetDir" Node="document"
File="<Path to Xml>\snippetsindex.xml"
ElementPath="//SnippetCollection//Language"
      xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension">

<![CDATA[<SnippetDir><OnOff>Off</OnOff><!-- More
Stuff --></SnippetDir>]]>
      </util:XmlConfig>

If you use this, it can replace both of your XmlConfig elements, since it
combines them into a single operation.  Note the Node="document", which lets
you specify the XML content to insert, as inner-text of the XmlConfig node.
I am not sure whether the Node="document" construct treats the inner-text as
a "Formatted String" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/aa368609.aspx) or
not, so if your "More Stuff" contains any square brackets or [PropertyName]
expressions, you may need to experiment to see how it behaves.

Regards,
Mike

uharano wrote