From: Sascha Sertel [mailto:sascha.ser...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2014 12:30 AM
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] ExecuteFilesInUseEventArgs Question

Hey everybody,

I'm working on a custom managed bootstrapper application for my bundle and I'm
adding support for the ExecuteFilesInUse event.

While doing some testing I noticed that the Files property does not actually
return a list of files that are locked, but rather alternates between process
ID and process name, so for example it would look like this if e is the
ExecuteFilesInUseEventArgs object:

e.Files[0] = "3676"
e.Files[1] = "Notepad"
e.Files[2] = "144"
e.Files[3] = "MyApp"

Actually the second entry might be the process description, not the name?
This behavior doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, but the way the
collection is populated makes a lot more sense, because I don't actually care
which files are locked but instead which process I need to send a shutdown
signal to.

So I'm fine with the data I'm getting, but I would like to get some information
that it will always behave this way before I start relying on it.

I also implemented a dialog modeled after the standard MsiRMFilesInUse dialog
which lets the user pick either Retry, Auto-close (via RestartManager), or
Don't close, but haven't tested all scenarios yet to see if the return codes
I'm sending back to the engine are doing the right thing.

// Sascha