Small correction:  I meant to say, "we are going to ... create a dummy
installer whose sole purpose is ... to prevent [the custom action DLL] from
being removed when you UNINSTALL the first product."  I.e., to make sure
that it is still around when the post-RemoveFiles custom action tries to use
it.

Also, theoretically you COULD try doing an in-place upgrade to the new
version instead of uninstalling the old version and installing the new
version as separate steps.  But in the case of a defective previous-version
installer and a clever workaround like this, I'd recommend keeping it simple
and doing things one step at a time.

It is possible that your custom action DLL may have additional dependencies
on other installed files, in which case you will need to copy-and-paste
their components into the dummy installer as you did before.  If you need to
do this, then you may need to make further adjustments to the custom action
DLL to ensure that it is fully self-contained for use in subsequent versions
(e.g., if it's a C# or VB.NET DLL, make sure you're using the one whose name
ends with ".CA.dll").

Regards,
Mike

Michael Turner wrote