Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm having some troubles with a very
similar situation as the one I previously described.

I ended up going with Rob's first suggestion - the Bundle has A.msi, B.msi,
C.msi, B.msp, and C.msp (B.msi and C.msi are not embedded and not included).
So far we haven't been releasing patches for A (since it's fairly small it's
easier to just do major upgrades).

We've released several updates and are now on version 1.0.5.  1.0.5 was a
fairly large change, so we released it as a major update.

We now want to release a fix to A (to bring it up to 1.0.6), and leave B and
C alone.  B and C add up to over 1GB of data (hence the reason for the
patches to being with), so we obviously don't want our users to have to
re-download a full update.

I've tried both removing the B.msp and C.msp, and generating actual empty
patches for them, but in both cases A gets updated and B and C get removed.

Here is a pared down version of my wxs file:

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";>
  <?define ProductVersion="1.0.6" ?>
  <?define ProductName="Product" ?>
  <?define UpgradeCode="UPGRADE_GUID" ?>
  <?define Manufacturer="Company" ?>

    <Bundle Name="$(var.ProductName)" Version="$(var.ProductVersion)"
Manufacturer="$(var.Manufacturer)" UpgradeCode="$(var.UpgradeCode)">
        <BootstrapperApplicationRef
Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense" >
            <bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication
LicenseFile="$(var.AssetsPath)\License.rtf" SuppressOptionsUI="yes" />
        </BootstrapperApplicationRef>

        <Chain>
            <MsiPackage SourceFile="A.msi" DisplayInternalUI="no">
                <MsiProperty Name="INSTALLFOLDER" Value="[InstallFolder]" />
            </MsiPackage>
            <MsiPackage SourceFile="B.msi" DisplayInternalUI="no"
Compressed="no">
                <SlipstreamMsp Id="B_Patch" />
            </MsiPackage>
            <MsiPackage SourceFile="C.msi" DisplayInternalUI="no"
Compressed="no">
                <SlipstreamMsp Id="C_Patch" />
            </MsiPackage>
            <MspPackage Id="B_Patch" SourceFile="B_Patch.msp"
DisplayInternalUI="no" Compressed="yes" />
            <MspPackage Id="C_Patch" SourceFile="C_Patch.msp"
DisplayInternalUI="no" Compressed="yes" />
        </Chain>
    </Bundle>
</Wix>